Sunday, November 17, 2013

Pumpkin Cookies




There have been 2 women on my block diagnosed with celiac in the past year.  Both sweet friends of mine, one of them is named Faith who was just diagnosed recently.  When she posted on facebook of her diagnoses I made this and this for her and took them over.  I wanted to let her know that there are gluten free goodies out there.  Well, recently I took her these pumpkin cookies and at church I promised her that I would post this recipe TODAY.  She wants to make them for Thanksgiving.  Don't worry family, I will be making them too!

Okay, Be prepared.  This recipe makes A TON of cookies.  I also scoop them with a small 1" Tablespoon scooper to get perfectly round balls.  

2 cups sugar
1-1/2 cups butter (softened)
2 cups pumpkin
2 eggs
5 cups and 2 Tablespoons gluten free flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons nutmeg
2 teaspoons cloves
1-1/2 teaspoons xanthum gum

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix sugar & butter until smooth.  Add pumpkin in until smooth then add the eggs.  Add the flour one cup at a time until it is smooth.  Then add the list of ingredients as you go.  You can mix all the dry ingredients together first, but I'm kind of lazy, I keep the mixer on and add all of the seasonings one by one.  This is what the dough looks like.  
Scoop about a Tablespoon of dough per cookie onto cookie sheet and bake for 8-9 minutes.  Do not over bake these.  If you bake them just right they will literally melt in your mouth!
 While the cookies are baking and cooling make the glaze.
5 Tablespoons milk
3-1/2 to 4 cups powder sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix well so there are no clumps.  You want the glaze to be thick enough to stay on but not a frosting consistency.  So start with adding the 3-1/2 cups and go from there.  It's a personal preference I think.  They are a little messy, but they are good for days and days.  I keep them in an air tight container in the fridge and they last for up to a week if we don't eat them all before that!





No comments:

Post a Comment