Monday, March 25, 2013

Gluten free oreo goodness


So have I mentioned my husband's family has a lot of people with celiac?  He is #3 out of 9 kids.  Four of the nine have it and a few refuse to be tested.  I have my opinions about that, but they have already heard them.  Anyhow, back to business of the ubber delicious oreos.  My brother-in-law (who refuses to get tested) is usually a wee bit annoyed by the gluten free food at family gatherings.  However, when I made these little suckers, he couldn't keep his hands off of them.

Oreo Goodness
1 cup butter softened 
2 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 ts vanilla

3/4 cup coco
1 ts baking soda
1/2 ts salt
1-1/4 ts xanthum gum

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all of the dry ingredients together.  In a separate bowl cream butter and sugar together.  Add eggs and vanilla and mix.  Next, add the dry ingredients.  Once mixed, I usually use my 1 TBS cookie scooper and scoop 12 onto a cookie sheet, I cut them in half and roll them into balls with my hand.  Bake for 8-9 minutes.  When you take them out they will look a little underdone, but don't keep baking them.  They are much better when they are soft.  Let them cool on a cookie sheet for a few minutes and then place them on a cooling rack. 
Once they have cooled frost them with this fantastic frosting.
Frosting
4 ounces cream cheese
1 stick of butter
1-1/2 cups powder sugar
1/2 ts vanilla
1/8 ts salt

Cream butter then add cream cheese.  Add powder sugar, mix and then add vanilla and salt. If for some reason the mixture seems to runny then you can add a little more powder sugar.  Prepare yourself: you may just have to run on the treadmill an extra hour or two to burn off what you ate.  






No comments:

Post a Comment